Monday, July 9, 2012

A Secret to Defeating MS

Eating healthy is essential to being healthy. I have found that diet high in protein is essential for people whom suffer with multiple sclerosis because of the amino acids found in protein. After researching the drugs prescribed for multiple sclerosis I have realized most of them are made up of amino acids which are found in supplements and food.

Here's a link which describes many amino acids in a simple way and how they work on your body.

Medications such as Copaxone, Avonex, Betaseron and Rebif, contain amino acids! Here's the link to show you the ingredients are amino acids. Therefore, its crucial that people with multiple sclerosis eat a diet high in protein and supplement with amino acids as well. This is what I have been doing for years to stay healthy and strong. Its really that simple!

Amino acids are found in protein sources, such as, meat, eggs, dairy, whey and beans. The sources most rich in protein in order from most to least are: eggs, meat, whey, dairy and beans. Some vegetables also contain lower amounts of protein as well, such as broccoli, spinach and mushrooms.

Another simple way to consume large amounts of protein is through whey protein shakes and bars. Make sure you read the ingredients...just because the outside packaging states its high in protein, doesn't mean that it is. Look on the nutritional label, under protein, you are looking to consume about 150 grams of protein a day. So you need to keep track of what you are eating. Meat on average, per one ounce, contains 7 grams of protein and a 4 ounce piece of meat is about the size of your palm. So if you have 6 small meals a day with protein, and or protein shakes/ bars, its easy to consume what you need in the course of a day.

I still highly recommend a protein shake a day, because they are loaded with amino acids and vitamins, in just one shake. Besides, its easier to travel with a scoop of powder, then a piece of chicken.

Also be careful of deli meat, which are loaded with fillers such as soy. Soy is not a good source of protein as people say that it is. In fact, try to avoid soy which is loaded with phytoestrogens which make you gain weight and gives you cancer! Here's the best site I've found which describes the hidden dangers of soy.

I know eating so much meat can get annoying and seem like a drag, so in a future post, I will discuss how to spice your meat up, to change it and add flavor. I will also show you how to cook for the week to make things easier.

Two other great protein sources are Greek yogurt and cottage cheese. Greek yogurt has about 23 grams of protein per one cup and you can either buy it flavored, or plain, and add nuts, fruit, honey, granola, or jams to add flavor. Cottage cheese, per half cup, has 14 grams of protein and is made with whey. Again, you add to it what you like, so it tastes good to you. Personally, I use baker's chocolate, with Stevia...yum...its so good.

I have nothing against vegetarians (my boyfriend is one), however I feel as though, people with multiple sclerosis need meat to fight their disease. These are only suggestions, I am not a doctor...I haven't had a relapse in over 4 years by eating this way. This is simply my research given to you as a gift...I want you to be happy and healthy, as I am!

Here's a link, to another post of mine, which describes a crucial aspect to conquering MS.

I also want to share this link, which shows the importance proteins.

Here's another previous post of mine titled, Dangerous Foods to Avoid

2 comments:

  1. I've then following the Autoimmune Paleo Diet/Wahls Diet with great results, but this eliminates (among other items) eggs, dairy, and legumes. I waswondering if you ever did any type of food elimination in your diet, or if you have had GI issues in the past. Thanks. Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, I just read your post Dangerous Foods to Avoid and it answers my last question. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete