Thursday, July 19, 2012

How to Fight Depression Naturally

I have suffered with depression since I was a teenager. Sometimes for no reason at all I would doubt myself, question everything in my life and would see everything as a negative. However, today I'm 33 and rarely feel the blues. Maybe its because at one point my life everything seemed so bleak...and now I feel disease free and ready to take on the world. However, I do combat depression naturally, through diet, exercise and specific supplements.

In cases of situational depression, which is brought on by an occurance which causes depression, the situation has to be changed and or managed before your depression is alliviated. For example, finding out you have been diagnosed with a disease, is traumatic and stressful. Just thinking you are "sick" would cause anyone to feel sad. Then of course there are numerous of other situations we can face everyday, which cause us to be stressed, such as a break-up with a loved one, the loss of a job or anything else which could greatly impact our lives.

Any of these situations would create a void in our life and the first thing we do, is try to fill the void. We tend to look for a quick and simple solution to our problems. We want to numb the pain quickly and easily. So sometimes we fill the void with disruptive or bad behavior, such as sleeping, eating, drinking, or even drugs. However, this is self destructive and counter productive to resolving our problem(s) at hand. 


Everyone wants the quickest and easiest way to resolve a problem, but I've learned the hard way that things which are done right, take our time and effort.


Personally, I have taken to the gym quite well because it helps resolve things in my mind. I get a chance to focus on my breathing, internalize, and feel my outer strength become my inner strength. Also going to the gym has helped resolve many voids in my life, like my boyfriend dying, having financial difficulties and being a single mother. I had many voids which have been resolved because I now take the time out to exercise and do art work. 


I highly recommend not only working out, but also finding as many hobbies or healthy outlets, as you need to fill any, and all voids you may have.


I find courage, self esteem, feeling good, healthy, and focused, when I go to the gym. Before I get to there, I don't want to go and look for every excuse not to go. Just as before I begin painting, again I make excuses not to do it, "I feel tired or I really don't feel good." Making any excuse would prevent me from just beginning, and if I don't start something how will I ever do it? I have found that beginning is difficult, but once I start I am fulfilled and happy.


I give myself pep talks of encouragement, "Remember all you have to do is get there...getting there is half the problem . Don't you always feel better when your done?" 


I have to repeat this everyday before I get to the YMCA, even though I've been going to the gym for over 2 years now. 


Remember exercise gives you endorphins and dopamine, which make you happy. (See an earlier post here about exercise) In the long run, working out helps you to stay positive, motivated, happy and energetic and we all want these benefits without the work. However, the truth is, you have to exercise. There is no other alternative to all of the benefits achieved from going.


When I first began going to the gym, I was also taking l-tyrosine, which is an inexpensive amino acid, that combats fatigue and depression. I probably took this for over 9 months, at about 1500 mg a day. I found this greatly helped me with the depression and energy problems I was having.

However, there are many other amino acids you can try if this one doesn't help. Here is an excellent site which explain each amino acid and how it combats depression because everyone is different. I found l-tyrosine worked for me because it works on the neurotransmitters epinephrine, norepinephrine and dopamine. You may find that another one may work better for you because you may have a different neurotransmitter problem.


Amino acids are very safe, highly effective, quick acting and all natural.

I have used many prescription medications to fight depression, but nothing has worked for me like exercise and l-tyrosine. I am not a doctor, but I have tried Paxil, Wellbutrin, Trazadone, Celexa, Lexapro, Buspar, Valium and I'm sure there are many others too. Everyone of those medications had side effects, sometimes made me feel worse, and really didn't help. 


I'm not recommending that you stop taking your depression medication, I am simply letting you know what I have found, which works for me. 


I hope you find your way out of the darkness and depression...and into a world of light and wondrous beauty, as I have.

.   

No comments:

Post a Comment