Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A Quick Healthier Alternative to Fast Food

There are times I'm out longer than expected and I find myself hungry and looking for healthier food choices. Other times I crave chocolate and I need to satisfy this overwhelming desire. There are also times, like yesterday, where I felt weak because my blood sugar was low and I needed to eat something quickly.

There are so many unhealthy fast food choices, that it becomes confusing as to what to choose when you aren't home and have other constraints, such as: time limitations, hunger, and or low blood sugar.

Fruit and yogurt are excellent ways to get a quick sugar uptake and are the healthiest choice to make.

However, there are times when a piece of fruit will not satisfy my hunger, I'm limited on time and I need a healthy alternative.

The only healthy food I have always found, even at gas stations, are protein bars. Protein bars are typically healthy, but not always. Sometimes they are loaded with soy isolate and gluten.

You have to read the allergy and ingredient information to find out what is exactly in them because different flavors contain different allergy contents.

Another problem, is they can also be high in calories and or taste awful.

Met Rx protein bars are found in most gas stations and some are even gluten free.

I eat one of these protein bars not more than once a week. Although this is a healthier alternative to fast food, it is not as nutritious as a home cooked meal, fruits or vegetables, which are the best things to eat.

These bars I am suggesting, have small amounts of soy. Most other protein bars have soy isolate as their main ingredient.

The really wonderful thing about these protein bars is I no longer eat candy bars or junk food! They help satisfy my chocolate craving I have from time to time.

Below is picture of a Met Rx protein bar, chocolate roasted peanut flavor, which is gluten free. Click on image below to read the ingredients and nutritional information.

I'm partial to this brand because of the Metamyosyn blend of protein, which is the first ingredient. However, there are unhealthy ingredients such as a preservatives, lecithan (soy) and corn syrup.

The healthiest protein bar, without preservatives, additives, soy or refined sugars are Raw Protein Bars. Unfortunately, these bars are uncommon, so they have to be purchased and made ahead of time, so they can be carried with you.

Supreme Protein Bars and Pure Protein Bars are two other types of fairly common, healthier alternatives for protein bars.

I am not promoting these protein bars for the best nutrition, I am simply providing a quick alternative to fast food and junk food because we live in a highly demanding, time constrained world.

I hope this information provides useful ideas to eat and live healthy.

Here's a link from a previous post of mine, Healthy, Time Saving Ideas for Food, which provides information to eat completely healthy.

Here's another post of mine, which describes essential nutritional information, A Secret to Defeating MS.

2 comments:

  1. When a thing comes on the hunger, I don't see available food is healthier or not. I think, in any such a condition it would be the best to eat fruits than a fast food because fast food has soya, fat, sugar, oil, fried meat, salt, cheese, mayonnaise and obviously calories and these all are not good for our health.
    Pizza delivery frankfort il

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've often thought about, which food is 'better' than another, often in terms of pesticides, GMO's, and now arsenic in our rice. So, yes, having a healthier alternative to pesticides/ insecticides and GMO's found in our fruits and vegetables is especially needed, when someone like myself (as well as many others) get sick from them.

    I wish there was 'healthy foods' but it seems that unless you grow your food...there is no escaping dangerous food.

    ReplyDelete