Monday, August 20, 2012

Resolving the Battle of Exhaustion

I have been completely exhausted lately, so tired I couldn't do anything but sleep. I literally felt like a "limp noodle." However, as of this afternoon...I feel ten times better!

When I was doing a lot of research about hypothyroidism, I read about adrenal fatigue.

I've always been one of those people who is driven and full of determination when I tackle any task. Although this is a great personality trait for getting something accomplished, it has begun to harm my body.

When your body is always stressed out it can cause an adrenal insufficiency, or worse, an adrenal crisis.

The adrenal glands are bean sized glands, located at the top of your kidneys. These small glands are responsible for producing: cortisone, aldosterone, androgenous hormones, and catecholamines (adrenaline and non-adrenaline hormones).

Adrenal glands can be damaged through a poor diet, stress, medication (corticosteroids), lack of ACTH from the pituitary gland, infection, untreated hypothyroidism, toxins (soy, hormones, birth control pills), low iodine intake and excessive caffeine consumption.

I'm not sure what exactly has caused my adrenal problem...could of been a mixture of the above causes. My primary suspects are untreated hypothyroidism, years of corticosteroids and stress. I seem to do too much and need to learn how to relax more often.

How did I resolve this adrenal fatigue? My boyfriend literally dragged me off the floor and we went to Health Hut in Delmar, NY, and purchased Solaray Adrenal Caps. I can't believe this remedy was under $10 and made me feel 100% better!

I must warn you though, if you do not have adrenal fatigue or insufficiency and you take this, you may feel jittery and hyper or you may stress out your adrenal glands and cause an adrenal crisis, which can be life threatening. There is bovine in these caplets, which is freeze dried adrenals from an animal, which is to be only used in more serious cases of adrenal fatigue.

Safer remedies are ginseng, melatonin, licorice root, ginger root, yoga, healthy diet, exercise, laughing, meditation, vitamin B, vitamin C, zinc, selenium, sea salt, magnesium, 5-HTP, Valerian root, l-tyrosine, and minimizing stress.

I take most of the supplements and vitamins listed above, exercise and have a nutritious diet, but I have hypothyroidism which is being treated with bovine and according to my recent blood work this is not enough. However, I did just recently order a safe desiccated thyroid online called Thyroid-S, which is much more effective.

I also highly recommend the website and the book, Stop the Thyroid Madness. The information they provide I found to be most the helpful. The website not only discusses every type of hypothyroidism, but also discusses adrenal fatigue. There are types of self exams you can perform, as well as blood work, which can be done from your home. There is a lot of information on this website and it is time consuming, but I found the resolution to my problem.

Before I took these adrenal caps, I felt weak, was extremely tired and anxious, had cold hands and feet, my lower back ached, my legs felt heavy, I had trouble falling and staying asleep, and had low blood pressure. These are many of the symptoms associated with adrenal fatigue.

I thought it was strange to fight fatigue with supplements which relax your body...but it seems your body needs to learn how to relax in order to produce the proper hormones.

I also recently learned that low progesterone and high estrogen levels are usually caused by adrenal insufficiency. These glands are responsible for the production of androgenous hormones, such as progesterone. This means the yam cream I've been using, is useless!

Doing things healthier and natural...isn't easy but it's better for your body. I know trial and error can be aggravating when the resolution isn't so clear. It took me a bit to resolve this problem, but I have. Find what works for you! 

I can't wait until I get Thyroid-S...I can't imagine how great I'm going to feel!

I've had an awesome day! I'm feeling better, writing on my blog and attending college in another week.

Yay!

Life is good...thank you God.

Read a previous post titled, Hypothyroidism and Battling Your Weight

How I Defeated Multiple Sclerosis

No comments:

Post a Comment