Sunday, August 12, 2012

Hypothyroidism and Battling Your Weight

I'm still feeling quite disheartened about my weight lately. Although I eat a moderate amount of calories low in fat and exercise daily, I am still battling my weight. I suffer with hypothyroidism and low progesterone, due to the gamma knife surgery I had two years ago, which eradicated my pituitary gland.

Feeling great mentally I find to be a challenge, when I'm not satisfied with how I look and feel in my clothes. I've always believe that a healthy frame of mind contributes to the well being of the body.

I was taunted and teased as a child because I was the "fat kid" in my class. When I reached seventh grade, I lost 20 pounds and grew 3 inches. I suddenly found myself surrounded by new, so called "friends," and was treated with more respect by others.

When I got pregnant with my son, I put on weight! Lots of it! I used the term eating for two literally and gained 100 pounds! When I tried losing the weight my husband put me down, called me names and accused me of cheating on him.

After I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, I knew I had to lose the weight. I went about it the wrong way and ate almost nothing throughout the day. Within a few months I lost over 100 pounds, my husband hated me (which wasn't a bad thing), my health declined...but I "looked good."

Now I'm 33 years old...I feel healthier and stronger than ever. I don't look perfect, but I'm not happy with my body image, which is stressing me out. So I know I need to do resolve this issue I am having.

I have been reading a community forum which discusses how Armour Thyroid tablets are all natural and actually work (here's that link)! The problem is the FDA has been taking down the websites which provided a homeopathic doctor "near you" that prescribe this remedy!

I am outraged! I am not given the choice to remedy my medical condition naturally...and I am not treating it because of the side effects associated with synthroid, like bone loss. I've tried synthroid in the past and it didn't work.

Why would I continue taking something that is hurting my body and making me feel worse?

I am not giving up! I am still going to try to find a doctor who can help me. I need to start calling local homeopathic doctors and asking if they will prescribe Armour.

I want to look in the mirror and feel confident and secure with how I look, but I will not adversely effect my health to achieve this.

I know our culture promotes women looking "thin." Everywhere you look on TV or on the Internet, "diets" are promoted with pills, shakes and supplements, with a skinny female, half nude near the promotional product.

Our society has made women want to crawl out of their skin and hate themselves so they can look and feel "sexy."

Where does it end? What is sexy? Why can't a woman feel strong, beautiful and independent regardless of their weight?

I read this and I know I need to reevaluate the ideas I've been conditioned to think by society.

I need to look in the mirror and see "me"...and everything I am...All of my triumphs and defeats, and love me for who I am.

How I Defeated Multiple Sclerosis

A related previous post titled, Dangerous Foods to Avoid

A previous post of mine titled, Conquering Dietary Problems

No comments:

Post a Comment